5.17.2012

Adoption Books

Our agency provided us with a list of required/recommended reading to complete prior to our homestudy.  They do not denote which titles are "required" and which are only recommended, so I'm planning on reading all of them (minus the foster/adopt specific books).  I checked out 2 from the library this week, and have already completed the fist.

The Adoption Triangle: The Effects of the Sealed Record on Adoptees, Birth Parents, and Adoptive Parents by Arthur D. Sorosky, et al.  This book gave me a lot to think about in respect to the feelings and emotions of each part of the adoption triangle. Although this book could now be considered "historical" almost, it still had a lot of good information.

One quote from a birthmother really made me think - I don't have the exact quote but she was talking about how she found out that most adoptive families only wanted healthy babies, and how she felt that because of that, adoptive families didn't have the same kind of unconditional love for their children as birth families.  I'd never thought of it like that before, but it's given me a lot to think about in terms of what "disabilities" or drug/alcohol exposure we're willing to "risk" or accept when being presented to birth families. 

Obviously having a drug addicted, differently abled, or FAS baby (or whatever), wouldn't match the picture of my future children that I've been carrying around, but until recently, neither did the idea of an adopted child.  Adoption teaches you a lot, particularly about "rolling with the punches" and accepting what God puts in your life.

I really enjoyed the book overall, and I read it in about 2 days.  I've started the second book already, and I'll post my thoughts about it as soon as I'm finished!

1 comment:

The Jen said...

Thank you for this post. I really look forward to reading about your thoughts on the other books you're reading on the subject - it's incredibly helpful!