4.26.2010

Knit & Crochet Blog Week



Hey everyone! Today marks the beginning of Knit & Crochet Blog Week 2010! My friend biomaj5 encouraged me to blog about my experience with knitting, so here I am!


Today's topic is how you got started knitting. "Was it a skill passed down through generations of your family, or something you learned from Knitting For Dummies? What or who made you pick up the needles/hook for the first time? Was it the celebrity knitting ‘trend’ or your great aunt Hilda?"


The first time I learned to knit was at the end of the fall semester of 2007 (I honestly can't remember). My friend Lindsey was teaching several of our friends at the time (very beginner techniques), so I decided to give it a try. I chose some size US13 acrylic needles and a skein of light green Red Heart Super Saver yarn and started on a scarf. I knit for a while, and then got bored. I picked it up again on a whim in the spring of 2008, and finished that scarf. I obviously added several stitches somewhere in the process, and while I still have that scarf, I never use it. Here is a picture of that fateful first scarf:
Hideous, no??
...and then fell off the knitting wagon again. It's been a very 'on-again, off-again' kind of relationship for us. Finally, in the fall/winter of 2008 I got serious about knitting. I knit a kerchief, and then moved on to a tote bag. This tote bag took me nearly a year to complete, mostly because I didn't have a lot of time for knitting (I started massage therapy school in early 2009), and I just had other things on my mind. I also began knitting a lovely lace scarf, which is still OTN (on the needles, for you non-knitters). Since then, I've moved on to more advanced projects, working on double pointed needles, and using nicer yarns. I have made a great e-friend in the process (that'd be biomaj5 again), and have become a part of a larger online knitting community, as well as a face-to-face knitting group which meets on Wednesday nights.
Until tomorrow,
viva la knit! :-D

No comments: